Thursday, March 31, 2011

This Girl's Got Big Decorative Balls

Ever since I started wrapping (see here and here), I've wanted to make my own decorative balls.  While these are not usually very pricey, I knew that I could make them for free. 

I thought I was being so creative, then I saw about a kagillion tutorials on how to make these, all over the interwebs!  At that point I felt like I was jumping the shark a bit.  Who cares though, right?  What's another set of balls among blogs? 

Mine are made from kitchen string and some styrofoam balls I bought back when I had money to waste.  Here's my tute:

Step 1- Gather up these materials: some styrofoam balls (size is up to you), a glue gun, some type of string/twine/cording/etc., and some tacky glue or plain old white glue such as Elmer's.


My son was my photographer.

Step 2- Braid some long sections of string and glue the ends to keep them from unraveling and to retain the end's braid shape- this will help create fading seams.


I allow him to be part of the creative process because I don't like my crafting to take away from my kids.

Step 3- Glue one end of the braid to the top of the ball using your glue gun.  Spiral it a little for some extra hold.  This also helps you get started. 


I think he's pretty good for a 7 year old.  I mean come on he captured my process perfectly.  I'm biased.

Step 4- Slather small sections of the ball with your tacky glue.  Continue to wrap the braid over this glue.  Be sure to keep adding glue as you wrap.  Continue this process half down the ball.

Step 5- Turn your ball over and repeat steps 3 and 4 making sure to match up seams. 

Step 6- Allow to dry.  Call people over to admire your handy work.  Search the house for more string.  Skip sleeping at night because you develop a brain erection that can only be relieved by making more stuff. 
Oh wow!  Too much information.  That other stuff just happens to me.  Sorry. 

Not too bad.  Free works for me.

Nydia 8)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...