Friday, March 11, 2011

Look Ma No Metal Toilet Paper Wall Art

We all remember the masterpiece Suzy of Suzy’s Artsy Craftsy sitcom created.  How could we forget?  What she created out of toilet paper and paper towel rolls was nothing short of genius.  I think it’s no exaggeration to say that this single project changed my whole outlook on life.  (oh brother) I like genius.  I like to imitate it whenever possible.  Here I present to you my second grader version of her project. 

First, I needed to collect toilet paper and paper towel rolls.  I didn’t think this would be hard considering we are a family of four used to eating plenty of fiber.  Go figure.  I’m always complaining that I’m the only one who ever replaces the paper when it runs out and the one time I’m actually excited for it to run out, it doesn’t. 

Once I had all the rolls collected, I cut them up into ¼ inch strips.  The paper towel rolls were cut lengthwise and the toilet paper rolls were cut widthwise.  I used the paper towel tubes to make the framing, one big square with a four way division.  This left me with four little boxes to put scrolls into.  I attached everything with Elmer’s glue and then applied a thin layer of Modge Podge to make it sturdy.  That completes the framing. 

For the scrolls inside the frames.  I cut (7) 2 and a half inch strips.  One, I used as a center piece onto which I glued all the curly q's.  The top two curly Qs were made by wrapping the pieces around a meat thermometer.  (It was the only thing I had on hand.)  I glued those onto the center stem then glued another two under those.  The little hearts at the bottom were made by folding the piece in half and then curling the ends. 


Once all my scrolly piece were complete I glued them inside the frame, spread a thin layer of Modge Podge and allowed it all to dry.  After it was all dried and felt pretty solid, I used hammered metal paint.  This is the name of the paint.  It's intended to create a look of weathered metal or something.  What do I know?  I'm no blacksmith. 

When it's all said and done you will have something that looks like metal iron work.  Suzy's are perfection because she is 1.) obviously talented  2.) took her time and 3.) measured, cut and glued carefully.  I'm a moron and did none of the above so mine look like sh crap.  It's my house though, so I'm hanging them.  LOL



 Nydia 8)

3 comments:

  1. From the picture I see, they look nice. I'm sure you'll get better with them too if you practice more. After all, just wait a few weeks and you'll have some new materials to work with! Amazing the nice things others think to make out of trash. I wish I was that talented, but I never think of things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm blushing here. Thanks for the kind words! And your project came out great! If it is okay with you, I will be featuring it in my "Features and Thankyous" post that will come out the beginning of April.

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great "green" project!

    www.juiceboxdreams.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...