Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Little Truck That Could

I'm looking to remodel my baby man's room.  Right now it's in a transitional phase between toddler and big boy.  So I've been busy as a bee looking around for inspiration.  In my quest for all things big boy-ish and custom looking, I came across this adorable little truck shelf from Pottery Barn Kids. 

Cute right?


Well... as you know I really love Pottery Barn but I can't justify paying $130 for a shelf even if it is for my baby man.  That's when I got the bright idea to make the shelf out of things I already had around the house.  Brilliant!  I had this gross shelf that I got for $1 at Goodwill and a little unfinished wooden truck that my son had since he was a baby.  Both were doing nothing but collecting dust. 



 Do you see where I'm going with this?


I had my husband *swoon* cut the truck into pieces.  I kept the front of the truck and the wheels.  These were attached using a handy dandy nail gun.  Easy Peasy!  This is how it looked at this point. 

Brilliant I tell you!! 


The next step was priming.  Because I already had it on hand, I decided to use a ruddy brown primer.  I knew I was going to paint the shelf red so that was the logic behind that one.  Here it is primed and ready to go. 
What a stinkin great idea!

Finally, I took a can of red spray paint and just about emptied the whole darn thing onto it.  Note to self: sand the rough edges because spray paint will not take otherwise.   All in all it was a successful project in my book.  Here is the reminder of what I was going for:


Pottery Barn Kids truck shelf $130.00


My version: $1.00

Total savings $129.00.  The fact that my son doesn't give a crap about where it came from but loves it just the same: PRICELESS!


This little truck was linked over at:



27 comments:

  1. This so stinkin' cute, Nydia! Very clever :D
    I hope you will come and link to the "Amaze Me Monday" blog party. I will have a link up later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I really loved this project and for $1 what's not to love. @Carrie, I will for sure link up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! My son would love it! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "Featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yours is better =) and not just because it's a dollar <3

    kudos!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, LOVE! This is amazing and the fact you made it for a buck has my jaw on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so perfect! I think yours is the better version with the steering wheel on the truck. And who could argue with that savings?

    ReplyDelete
  8. darling! I'm on the hunt for ideas for my small boy's room too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is so awesome! i'm going to be doing my little boy's room over too and he loves anything with wheels-i'll be on the look out for a wooden truck. love your blog design-lol-it's the same as mine and when i first came to your blog, i thought i had logged back into mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great job you did! My son will love one in his room too! Visiting from Someday Crafts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm visiting from someday Crafts, that is BRILLIANT and I like your version better than the PB one anyway because there is so much more detail in the front of the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Came by from Knock Off Decor. Love the truck shelf! I'm gonna have to make one for my son's room! Thanks for the awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You "AMAZE ME"! Thank you for linking up to the "Amaze Me Monday" blog party!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like yours better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally cool! What a fantastic idea. I love saving $$$. I found you at Debbiedo's. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic and marvelous idea!!! You are so talented! Really enjoyed your post.

    Found your site from Debbiedoo's link up party

    Hope you have great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's very creative and adorable! Thanks for sharing. I found your blog through Debbiedoo's link party. I am a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah-maz-ing!! Really good job. Found your site from Debbiedoo's linkie party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! I love it! I'm you newest follower from Debbie's newbie party! have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is just stinkin' cute...Looooove it! Great thinking. I came over from Debbie's newbie party. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You. are. my. freakin'. hero. This is fantabulous! I am so going to make one of these! We just moved our tot into his new big boy room, and it's done in cars and trucks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...