Friday, January 21, 2011

Fly Little Butterfy Pillow Fly

Pottery Barn makes the most gorgeous things!  Don't you agree?!  I'm head over heels for their butterfly pillows.  Only one problem is they're $49 and you still need an insert.  Ain't happenin here.  I have to send a kid to college in a year!  You know what I mean? Still I'm a crafty person so I figured I'd try my hand at making one. 

I went to the fabric store and bought a half yard of cotton fabric.  It had little flecks in it that gave it a "natural" look.  While I understand that the Pottery Barn version was made on a much finer upholstery type fabric, I wasn't willing to part with much money.  So this remnant piece had to do.  Also, I should point out that the day before I had bought a bag of polyfil at the thrift store for a buck!  This meant I wasn't about to buy a pillow form.  I was going to make one!  JOY! 

So I took like ten minutes to sew a pillow form.  I used the same fabric I bought for the pillow.  I made sure to stuff it really good.  The last thing I need is a lumpy couch pillow. 

Next, I went online and looked at several pictures of butterflies until I found one that was fairly easy to draw.  I made my daughter draw one that I could trace but I ended up eyeballing the butterfly and drawing it myself.  I went over the pencil outline with a fabric marker then filled in the colors I wanted with a combination of fabric markers and acrylic paint pens. 

Last, I sewed the actual pillow case and stuffed it with the pillow form. 

Here's the beautiful Pottery Barn pillow.  Isn't she gorgeous?!  Notice the quality of the fabric.


Here's my drawing on the pillow fabric. 


Here's the finished pillow. 


My version of a butterfly pillow. 


Pottery Barn- $49 plus cost of pillow form.  My version- $3 for fabric and stuffing.  Markers and paint were on hand from other projects.  Best of all I still have fabric left to make another pillow!  Yeah me!




Nydia 8)


I'm linking this here nonsense over at these parties:
Tatertots and Jello: Weekend Wrap Up
Beyond The Picket Fence

9 comments:

  1. LOVE this!! Looks better than the PB version! Here from TT&J! Have a great weekend, xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out AWESOME! And you drew it?! Not only can you say you made it, but you drew it too! Very very cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh-this looks fantastic! There is just something beyond awesome feeling when you pull off a good knock off! Am I right?! Thanks for the inspiration!! Have a great Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nydia - amazing art work. Love teh colors you have used - You have done a fabulous job! Hope you have a wonderful weekend ~ Stephanie lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pillow! The PB one is actually my "inspiration piece" for my family room. I am so jealous! I wish I had your talent for drawing! I think I will have to spend the $49 on the pillows because I am a terrible artist! I would love for you to share this at my Sew Crafty Linky Party & Giveaway!

    http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2011/01/agape-love-boutique-giveaway-sew-crafty.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your butterfly pillow! I love all things pottery barn. Have a great weekend.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your butterfly pillow!! You did an awesome job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so cool, and such a money saver. my only problem in using this would be a lack of drawing talent. awesome job. You have been blessed with skill and creativity. so cool to see it used.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...