Remember when I said I was into rustic? (I said it here.) Well I’ll say it again; I’m really into rustic! Another thing I do is hang on to Pottery Barn Catalogs forever! This planked pony art piece was in one such catalog that I’ve been hanging onto since God knows when. I looked for something similar everywhere because God also knows I’m not paying crazy money for anything. Since I didn’t find a suitable replica, I decided to go ahead and try to make it. What did I have to lose? I already had everything I needed on hand. Since I didn’t have three separate boards like the original seems to be constructed of, I decided to use a similar sized piece of wood that was originally the door to my crawl space. Sorry hon! When my husband saw I had taken it, he said we’d have one cool door for our crawl space. As if! I get the feeling he doesn’t much care for my brand of
Here’s how this copy cat art went down. I had the piece of pine (or some other wood type) board. I took three screws and a nail out of it and filled the holes with wood filler. Then I sanded it with my ever so cute orbital sander that my hubby *swoon* bought me. I wiped it down and took a break to clean my house. It was starting to look like the show “Hoarders”.
While the stain dried, I went ahead and got a silhouette of a horse enlarged at my local Staples for $1.99. I took this enlarged copy and glued it onto the reverse side of some contact paper. *Remember to reverse your image. I cut the outline of the horse from leftover contact paper; it’s cheaper than using my Silhouette vinyl.
I stuck this vinyl cut-out onto the stained board. *Make sure the edges are well adhered to the board otherwise your paint might seep under the edges.
My next step was to paint
sloppily over-wait that’s just me, over the silhouette with a brush. The more visible your brush strokes are, the better! I used leftover trim paint because it was FREE!
Peel off the contact paper and you should have something like this. (God willing!)
This didn’t take that long to dry; only about three hours. (I cleaned my house.) My last step was distressing it. I did this by calling it names such as buffoon and ninny. (I kid!) I just took some sandpaper; 80 grit to be precise. I used 80 grit only because it was handy, but I recommend a finer grit.
I had to sand straight edges across my piece to give the appearance of separate boards. Then I sanded the edges and some choice spots here and there. Finally, I gave it a light onceover for an overall aged look. (I think someone’s been doing that to my face while I sleep.)
Here's the Pottery Barn version. Isn't it gorg!!!!
The photo looks darker than it actually is. I love you I really do-ooh!
This post is linked up here: