Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Small Fall Burlap Table Runner

Well, it's technically not long enough to be a table runner but I didn't know what the heck to call it; OK?!
I made this thing for two reasons.  One, because I was inspired by some of the gorgeosity (could be a real word) found in the pages of the Ballard Designs catalogs I've recently received.  You know what I'm talking about, all those pretty home things I want but can't justify spending major cheese on.  The second reason was a more pressing one, in that if I don't start using up some of my crafting supplies, my family is going to stage a hoarder's intervention.  I swear I have so much stuff, I could supply a village for like a year!
This is the little table cloth runner thingy.






 So here's how I made it:

I cut a piece of burlap (love me some burlap can you tell by the cagillion mentions throughout my blog?).  I washed this burlap and ironed it.

Then I unraveled the end edges and sewed up the sides.  


Example of sewn edges. 

When I had enough unraveled I knotted groups of eight threads and thus created tassels.


Using a fabric marker and my best cursive, I copied a fall themed poem.  ( I gave credit to the original poet so don't get your pantaloons in a bunch.)

To add a little detail, I traced a leaf from my yard and painted it in with puffy fabric paints.

The cost of this project was nil, nada, goose egg. Best of all I used up some of my supplies.  Now I have just a billion supplies left.  Thanks, John Muir for writing a fall poem.

Nydia 8)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...