Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Broomstick Lace Bracelet

So, you want to make a broomstick lace bracelet.  Well I put a little tutorial here that might shed some light.  Enjoy! 



I don't really know how to crochet, but I know how to follow a tutorial.  YouTube has plenty of great broomstick lace tutorials that even the most hand-eye coordinationally (word?) challenged can follow.  This one was my tutorial of choice because her voice was very calming and mother-like. 
Broomstick lace tutorial video

Step 1- First I made a chain 15 links long.  (Please excuse me if I don't use proper terms, like I said before, I don't really know how to crochet.)  Onto that chain I single crocheted 15 times.





Step 2- Do not turn your work over!  You are basically going to take that last loop and pull it over a large knitting needle about the diameter of a broomstick or you can do like I did and just use an actual broom handle. 

Step 3- You are going to put your crochet hook through every single crochet stitch and pull up a new loop to place over the handle.  (The video is helpful here.) You will end up with 15 loops on the handle. 


Step 4- Pull these off the handle.  Careful not to unravel your last loop!   You will not turn your work over at any point.  Just grab up five loops on your crochet hook and do a single chain stitch through them.  Put your hook back through the center of your loops and single crochet 5 times in there.  Continue this process across the rest of the loops.  (The single chain stitch is only needed for the beginning of your loop series.  The rest of the loop groups after the first one just get 5 single crochets.) 

Step 5- Repeat steps 2 through 4 until you have enough material to wrap around your wrist. 



Step 6- Stitch up the two edges.  I just used a beading needle that I threaded with my crochet yarn.  I used a regular sewing stitch.  There's probably a better way to do this but I'm lazy and this worked.  So there you have it. 

Caveat- the broomstick lace is cumbersome and takes time.  I keep hearing that over time you develop a rhythm that makes it faster but I've made over a billion of these and I haven't found an easier way.  My advice: just take your time and relax.  These make great little gifts! 
Bohemian beachy cute. 

7 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to know how to do this! Thanks for the awesome tute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha- another crocheting secret revealed! Thanks so much! I'll positively try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely adorable!! Definitely a must-try!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely! Would you mind saying what size string/thread/yarn you used? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind words Shannon. I'm not sure what size it was but it was the finest crochet yarn available. It's very thin. Looks like bakers thread but thinner. I've seen this done with thicker yarn though. I hope this helps. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iam going to try this too..love the looks of it and will try with all sorts of different 'yarns'...thank you for a great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...