Monday, April 18, 2011

Not Your Average Stool Sample Stool Makeover

My husband’s grandmother passed away last December and we inherited a couple of things that belonged to her.  She was quite a personality and I can only hope to live that snazzy for that long.  92 sassy years is nothing to shake a stick at. 

Anywho, that’s how this little stool made it to my house.  My décor is what I would call mosh pit eclectic, but this stool just wasn’t cutting the mustard.  It was just NOT MY STYLE.  I knew it was a matter of time before I gave it a makeover.  I was just lacking a staple gun.  So on a recent trip to Harbor Freight (secret love) I picked up an electric staple gun and the rest is history. 

This is the stool. 


When I got home with my fancy new electric staple gun, I was so excited to use it that I got right to work on the stool.  Changing out the fabric was a nontroversy because everyone could agree that the fabric was fugly.  Sure, it was probably all the rage at some point, but at this point it had outlived its pretty.  I’m also sure that someday my grandkids will think all my stuff resembles a stool sample too.  Here’s how you too can get a new looking stool out of an old one. 

Step 1- Take apart the whole thing and paint the metal parts.  It helps to sand and clean it first in case there’s loose paint or rust.  I didn’t do this, but I do subpar work.  I expect more from you. 
I'm so impatient I couldn't follow the proper procedures.

Step 2- Take the fabric off the cushion.  This will require much patience grasshopper.  You need to be wise in the ways of staple removal. 

Step 3- Cut a piece of painter’s canvas large enough to wrap around your cushion with about 2 inches to spare.  You will put one staple in and stretch it with all your might to the other side where you will put an additional staple.  Continue to do this until the whole thing is covered.  For the corners you will make strategic folds and staple. 

Step 4- Use a stencil and some fabric paint markers to beautify your stool.  Or leave it plain if that’s your bag baby. 

Step 5- Put the whole thing together again and place the stool where no one will even think of using it.  (neurotic me)

Step 6- Cringe every time someone puts their feet on it.  Lol just kidding. 

Free!  Gotta love that price! 



Nydia 8)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative projects here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? I hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...